Wallet Stolen While Shopping: Can I Sue the Store?

Wallet Stolen While Shopping: Can I Sue the Store?

Many people will experience the panic and inconvenience of having their wallet stolen. It can happen anywhere. The victim may file a police report against the thief in the hopes that police can retrieve the contents of the wallet. If the purse or wallet was stolen while the victim was shopping in a store, they might have grounds for a negligent security case.

Liability of the Store Owner

Owners of commercial party can be held liable for crimes committed by third parties on the premises. That is, if your wallet it stolen inside a business or store, you may be able to file a negligence action against the business owner.

Duty of Reasonable Person

While a store owner is not strictly liable for any and all crimes committed by third parties within the store, the owner has a reasonable duty to protect the public from reasonable foreseeable crimes that could occur.

The key to this analysis is whether the harm is foreseeable. For example, if many customers shopping in the same store had also had their wallets stolen, the owner would be on notice that there is a reasonable foreseeable harm to future patrons. If the owner has experienced third party criminal conduct against visitors to the store, the owner may have a duty to take reasonable measures to protect persons entering the premises, such as hiring a security guard.

Protect Your Rights With Laporte, Mulligan & Werner-Watkins

Businesses owe their guests a safe environment. If a business is aware of a security concern and fails to adequately act to prevent injuries to customers, the business can be held responsible for the customer’s damages. For a team of leading attorneys who have years of experience successfully bringing negligence claims and getting recovery for victims, contact Laporte, Mulligan & Werner-Watkins P.A. to discuss your case today.



Request a Free Consultation

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your Phone (required)

Description of your case: