Every year, nearly 5,000 pedestrians across the United States are killed by motor vehicles. Another 76,000 are injured. What is even more surprising is where these accidents are happening. The National Complete Streets Coalition has ranked Florida as the most dangerous state in America for pedestrians. While Orlando has been found the worst city for pedestrians, the Tampa, Clearwater and St. Petersburg area was ranked a close second.
Needless to say, this is not a reputation any city wants. That is why it is up to all of us to do our part and keep the streets safe for pedestrians.
Safe Driving Tips For Drivers in Tampa Bay
When driving, it can be so easy to lose focus. But even a split second of distractions can lead to a devastating accident. Here are some simple tips for all drivers to follow that will help avoid pedestrian accidents:
– According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), nearly half of all deadly pedestrian/motor vehicle accidents are alcohol related. So, for your safety and the safety of others, never drive if you have been drinking.
– Cell phones take away your focus from the road. Avoid using your cell phone while driving, or use hands-free Bluetooth.
– Always be alert at pedestrian crossing, and stop when indicated to.
– Avoid driving when drowsy or tired.
Safety Tips For Pedestrians in Tampa Bay
It is important that pedestrians also take extra precautions for their own safety. Some of the ways you can keep safe while walking near cars includes:
– Only cross at designated pedestrian crossings or intersection.
– Increase your visibility when walking at night with reflective clothing or a flashlight.
– Avoid walking on the road when possible. Always try and walk on the sidewalk when available.
– Always accompany your children when they are walking near a busy street. Pedestrians under the age of 15 are at a higher risk of being in an accident.
Call Laporte, Mulligan & Werner-Watkins Car Accident Lawyers if You’ve Been Involved in a Car Accident
If you or someone you love has been injured by a motor vehicle while crossing the street, contact Laporte, Mulligan & Werner-Watkins Attorneys at Law. We specialize in helping victims receive the compensation they deserve for their injuries. Call today or go online and schedule your free consultation.