If you have been involved in an accident, whether it’s a slip and fall, car accident, or any other situation that caused an injury, you are probably wondering just how much your personal injury is actually worth. While determining how much your personal injury is worth depends on your specific situation, the compensation will boil down to the damages you sustained. No two cases are alike.
Expenses to Consider
Determining your damages takes a lot of factors into consideration because there are many things that could entitle you to compensation. While each personal injury case will depend on the specifics, here are some things you could be compensated for:
- Medical Bills – The majority of personal injury cases garner some sort of compensation for medical bills associated with the accident. This compensation includes reimbursement for any treatment you have already received as well as for the medical care you will need in the future, such as physical therapy, due to the accident.
- Income – If you were involved in an accident that impacted your income, you may be entitled to compensation. This includes both the income you have already lost and the income you may lose because you can no longer work—this is generally referred to as “loss of earning capacity.”
- Emotional – Often times, when one is involved in a severe accident, they suffer some sort of emotional stress—whether post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression or sleep loss. As a result, you may be entitled to compensation for emotional distress.
- Pain & Suffering – Similar to emotional damages, you may be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering. This includes any immediate pain you may be in following an accident or pain that occurs post-accident.
- Punitive Damages – If the other party’s actions are deemed extremely careless, you may be entitled to compensation as well.
Do I Need an Attorney?
If you have been involved in an accident, you should seek legal assistance right away. Without the help of a legal professional, you may not be able to get all of the compensation you are truly entitled to. Because personal injury cases can be complicated, it is imperative that you contact the legal team at PLM Attorneys. We will help you through every step of the way, from getting the appropriate medical treatment to gathering information about the other party’s insurance. To learn more about PLM Attorneys and what we can do to help you, click here, or get a free consultation today.