What Should I Do If I’ve Been Injured on the Job? 

 October 7, 2013

By  LMW Attorneys

You may never expect to get hurt while you are working at your job. However, thousands of on-the-job accidents occur each year that leave people like you without a way to make an income or support their families. If you have been injured on your job, you may wonder what you should do to protect yourself now and into the future. Rather than put off the necessary action, you should hire a personal injury lawyer immediately.

Along with seeking the proper medical attention for your pain and injuries, you also should be calling for a personal injury lawyer to come to your assistance. With a lawyer by your side, you and your counsel can prepare the necessary legal action and pursue a case against your employer.

In fact, your employer may do everything in his or her power to make you the responsible party for the accident. Many company leaders hate to pay claims made against their workers compensation insurance. With your lawyer there to help you, you can pursue the money to which you are entitled and build a case that shows that your employer was indeed at fault for your accident.

Once your employer knows you have an attorney working for you, he or she may be ready to offer a settlement. The first settlement offer can seem very generous. In fact, you may be tempted to accept it in a bid to put the entire case to rest. However, your attorney can tell you whether or not a settlement is fair and if it will be sufficient to compensate you today and into the future. You may forget to account for your loss of income in the future. A seemingly generous settlement today may not cover what you and your family will need tomorrow. Your attorney can negotiate a settlement that is fair and that will provide for your needs beyond today.

After you are injured at work, you have a narrow time frame to take action against your employer. Rather than relegate yourself to a future where you are not sure if you can go back to work and earn an income for your family, you should hire a personal injury lawyer to act on your behalf. With counsel by your side, you can take action and make sure you get the money to which you are legally entitled. Your lawyer will act in your best interests.