I Was Arrested Overseas, Can My New Port Richey Attorney Help? 

 July 28, 2014

By  LMW Attorneys

To put it simply, no, your attorney cannot help you. In the United States, attorneys need to be licensed in each individual State they wish to practice in. For example, an attorney who practices law in Florida is not automatically licensed to practice in New York, unless they obtain licensing in that State. Most attorneys are only licensed in one state, and choose to practice in a specific area or county, or in our case, just West Pasco county. So, your New Port Richey attorney can’t help you in a different state, and unfortunately, not overseas either.

Now What Are My Options?

Just because we can’t help you doesn’t mean you will be unrepresented. If you are charged with a crime overseas, you should first contact the US embassy or consulate, they will be able to do the following things for you;

– Make sure you are treated humanely

– Notifying your family and friends

– Make sure you get medical care

– Help you understand your rights

– Provide a list of local attorneys

When you visit a foreign country you are subject to the laws, customs, and regulations of that country. These can greatly differ from what we have in the United States so it is important to research your destination and inform yourself of their laws, customs, and regulations. If you are arrested abroad, you must follow the legal processes of that country, which may also differ from the United State’s processes. Unfortunately, we can’t help you overseas, but if you find yourself in legal trouble in the New Port Richey Area, we’re here to help. Contact us today for a complimentary consultation.